2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup finely grated lemon zest
6 large eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup + 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1) Move a rack to the middle of oven. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter and flour a kugelhopf or other 2-quart bundt plan. Set aside.
2) Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
3) Using paddle attachment, beat butter, granulated sugar and lemon zest in the bowl of an electric stand mixer at medium speed, until pale and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each additin. Beat in vanilla. Reduce mixer speed to low. In three batches beginning and ending with flour, add flour, alternately with milk and lemon juice, and beat just until combined.
4) Spoon batter into pan and smooth top. Bake unil cake is golden brown and a cake tester inserted in several placed comes out clean, about 45 to 55 minutes.
Cool cake in pan on a rack for 15 minutes, then invert onto a rack to cool completely.
5) While cake cools, whisk confectioners’ sugar into lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth and thick.
6) When cake is cool, set rack over a baking sheet or waxed paper. Drizzle glaze over cake, letting it drip down sides. Serve cake with fruit if desired. Yield: 10 to 12 servings.