Lemon Velvet Cake. Our most popular cake to date, for its real lemon flavor and incredible light, airy texture, while still staying moist and delicious.
1-1/4 c sifted all purpose flour
1-1/2 c sifted cake flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 c sugar
2/3 c vegetable oil
1/3 c shortening (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp lemon extract
3 large eggs
1-1/2 c buttermilk
zest of two lemons, grated and finely chopped
8 c powdered sugar
2 c butter
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp minced lemon zest (optional)
4 TBS milk
- Grease and four two 9-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with circles of parchment paper.
- Sift both flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Set aside.
- With electric mixer, beat oil, shortening, vanilla and lemon extract. Beat at high speed with whisk attachment until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Fold in lemon zest.
- Fold in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk. Begin and end with dry ingredients. Do not over-mix.
- Pour batter into two cake pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool 10 minutes an turn out to finish cooling.
- Make frosting. Mix together powdered sugar, lemon zest and butter until it becomes crumbly.
- Add lemon extract and a little of the milk.
- Beat until smooth and fluffy, adding only enough milk to bring frosty to spreadable consistency.
- Fill and frost cake.