RECIPE NOTES AND HELPFUL TIPS
- Purchase good quality beef tenderloin or steak
- Look for mushrooms that are firm, free from blemishes, and have a smooth appearance. They should be dry to the touch but not dried out.
- Always use wine of good quality. In other words, one that you would enjoy a glass of.
- Choose a red that is dry and medium to light-bodied. Good choices are Merlot, Pinot Noir, or a Cabernet.
- If the gravy becomes too thick upon simmering add a couple of tablespoons of beef broth to thin it out.
- This recipe really calls for the wine and the mushrooms. Without both of them, it really is not quite as delicious.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 lb sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb beef tenderloin or good quality beef steak ( I use petite shoulder) cut in bite size strips
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup good quality red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershe Sauce
- 1/4 cup flour (I like to use Wondra flour)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Add butter to large skillet over medium high heat. When melted toss in mushrooms and cook until light golden brown; approximately 8 minutes. Add onions and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes or until onions start to soften and mushrooms turn golden brown. Reduce heat to low and add garlic; cook for 30 seconds. Remove from pan and plate.
- In large ziploc bag add flour, steak bites, salt and pepper. Shake to coat. Add olive oil to skillet over medium high heat. Add steak and cook just until browned. Remove to plate.
- Add red wine to skillet and deglaze the pan; scraping up the brown bits from the bottom. Pour 1/2 cup of beef broth in bowl and set aside. Add REMAINING beef broth and Worcestershire Sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes; stirring a couple of times.
- In small bowl whisk together beef broth and 1/4 cup flour. Whisk flour mixture into skillet with beef broth mixture. Cook until slightly thickened; approximately 2 minutes. Add mushroom mixture and beef back to pan; simmer for 5-10 minutes. Salt & pepper to taste. Serve over egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.One Skillet Savory Beef Tips and Gravy0 seconds of 1 minute, 4 secondsVolume 90%