My homemade Peanut Butter Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting is an old school recipe that will quickly become a family favorite. You will find the moist cake loaded with peanut butter flavor. Then we top it with the best peanut butter frosting.
PEANUT BUTTER CAKE
Peanut butter fans are going to go crazy for this Peanut Butter cake. I am a big fan of everything peanut butter. If you follow along on my blog, you probably have already figured that out. I love my 3 ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies. My No Bake Reese’s Peanut Butter Cheesecake is an over the top peanut butter lovers dream. So peanut butter recipes are my most favorite desserts and I share them often.
Each year for my birthday, my grandmother would make us each a homemade cake to celebrate our day. My grandmother quickly realized that she never really had to ask me which cake was going to be my choice. Every year, I always requested her homemade peanut butter cake with peanut butter frosting. It really was her best homemade cake. It is perfect for feeding a crowd. We sometimes cut our cakes into smaller finger sized pieces when we are feeding more than just immediate family. You can easily get quite a few smaller pieces from a traditional sized cake pan. I know some make an old fashioned peanut butter sheet cake when serving a crowd. Sheet pan cakes are great but there is something about a thick moist cake topped with a layer of thicker frosting.
This recipe is an old fashioned cake recipe filled with so much flavor. She has been making this same recipe for years. I thought the recipe was very tedious so I never tried to make it myself. I can’t believe I have waited this long to make her homemade peanut butter cake. I have now made this recipe a few times and each and every time, my family has gobbled it up. They now have deemed it their favorite cake.It was not difficult to make and took very little time. Sure a peanut butter cake mix would be a blessing for a quick dessert but homemade desserts are always the best. The question always lingers in my mind as to why manufacturers have yet to make a good peanut butter cake mix. Maybe someday they will excite all of us peanut butter fans with such a product.
Peanut butter cake:
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 TBLS butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper and lightly grease with butter or spray. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- FOR THE CAKE: Gently melt the peanut butter and butter together in a microwave safe mixing bowl, then carefully blend in the water.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the sugar, brown sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture into the flour bowl, add in the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla, then mix together really well. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- FOR THE FROSTING: In a microwave safe mixing bowl, gently heat the butter and peanut butter on low until just soft enough to blend.
- Once butters are blended, carefully stir in the milk and vanilla and mix in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time.
- Frost the cake once it has cooled.